A quick guide to local Colorado writing resources, conventions, and more.
Craft book recommendations
Writing/editing craft books by and recommended by HWA CO chapter members.
- The Business of Short Stories: Writing, Submitting, Publishing, and Marketing by Shannon Lawrence (chapter member)
- Published: A Craft Guide–Kelp Journal Editors Discuss Crafting a Submission that Stands Out edited by A.E. Santana (chapter member)
- Refuse to Be Done: How to Write and Rewrite a Novel in Three Drafts by Matt Bell
Colorado-based writer conferences
- Pikes Peak Writers – Since 2001, Pikes Peak Writers has grown to more than 40 free and low-cost events, including monthly Write Brain sessions, writing workshops, and a host of other fun and educational meetings and events.
- Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers – RMFW is a non-profit, volunteer-run corporation dedicated to supporting, encouraging, and educating writers seeking publication in commercial fiction.
- Superstars Writing Conference – SSWS teaches writers how to succeed in the business of writing. Instructors include bestselling authors, editors, agents, managers of indie publishing platforms, and many more.
- Lighthouse Writers Workshop – With workshops, seminars, and cultural gatherings, Lighthouse Writers Workshop aims to provide the highest caliber of artistic education, support, and community for writers and readers in the Rocky Mountain Region and beyond.
- Pikes Public Library-Mountain of Authors – Pikes Peak Library District offers a highlight event for authors during their Mountain of Authors Local Author Showcase. Authors will be able to display and sell their books, meet attendees, and speakers.
Colorado-based horror-themed conventions
- Colorado Festival of Horror – COFOH features all things horror: celebrity guests, artists, writers, panels, vendors, horror films, horror art show, cosplay & tattoo contests, horror trivia and so much more delicious creepiness.
- Rocky Mountain Nightmares – Rocky Mountain Nightmares is a horror expo and film festival.
- Crypticon Denver – New to Colorado, Crypticon is a horror-oriented media event.
Conventions beyond horror
Colorado-based conventions of interest for chapter members
- Mile High Con – For SF/F and speculative fiction lovers, it’s a weekend not to be missed. The convention will feature authors, artists, speakers, and programming on every aspect of the science fiction and fantasy genres.
- COSine – COSine features numerous sci-fi and fantasy authors, artists, and fans, as well as panels, art show, author signing, gaming, dealers room, and more.
- Whimsy Con – Denver’s Steampunk and Costuming Convention.
- SoCo Comic Con – A comic convention that takes place in Pueblo, Colorado.
- GenghisCon 45 – A tabletop and card game convention.
If you have a resource that you’d like to share, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered. Thank you.